The International Activist Documentary Film Festival Mov(i)e Activism is a film festival organised by an international group of young people who recognised the need to speak in public about youth activism. The aim of this project is to enhance video-activism, intercultural cooperation and citizenship among young people from Croatia, Portugal, Spain, Germany, Latvia and Serbia.
The idea for the festival was born in Kragujevac (Serbia). Kragujevac has a population of around 180,000 inhabitants, has a youth population of 34,000 and it is the third largest university centre in Serbia, with over 16,000 students enrolled. Nevertheless, Kragujevac University is lacking faculties of philosophy and sociology, whose students are the main motors of youth activism in bigger university centres like Novi Sad and Belgrade. The result of it is that less than 1% of all young people in the city are getting engaged into solving problems that are of their own interest. The activist scene is awakening in the last 3 years, but it is already facing new challenges.
We wanted to address these problems and present them in front of the citizens, local authorities and local activists. The goal was to overcome these problems by exchanging experiences with activists on an international level and implementing novelties in future projects.
But soon afterwards we discovered that we were not alone in all this! Our friends from Rijeka (Croatia), Valencia (Spain), Riga (Latvia) and Coimbra (Portugal) are tackling these problems through the work of their local organisations. Therefore, we decided to get together and help each other to develop (video)activism in our cities. Also, further help is coming from Berlin this year, the city well known for its activist scene.
This year´s edition of the festival will have its premiere in October in Coimbra and screenings will follow in each of the cities participating in the project. This way we are hoping to create a big international network of video-activists that will empower us for the future cooperation and inspire others to engage in activism in their own communities.
After "Coimbra Mov(i)e Activism'' the cinema caravan goes around Europe!
All film screenings and events will be free of charge.
Awards & Prizes
Audience awards will be given to:
- The Best Documentary Short Film (less than 30 minutes)
- The Best Documentary Feature Film (30 minutes or more)
Rules & Terms
• All entries must be original films.
• Each organisation participating in this project will select films for the screenings in their cities independently from other organisations.
• Entrant confirms and warrants required legal authority to submit the entry into the ''Mov(i)e Activism'' Film Festival and to use all the music, images and content in the entry.
• There is no limit to the amount of films that a filmmaker, producer or film school may submit.
• In order to be admitted, the materials must be in English or presented with English subtitles.
• All the films for the competition category will be taken into consideration, no matter the production date.
• Films must be submitted via FilmFreeway and screeners must be password protected and not available for public online stream. It is NOT necessary to send a hard copy for the festival screening.
• Once a film has been submitted for participation it cannot be withdrawn.
• The Festival does not pay screening fees as it is non-profit.
• The deadline for registration and delivery of materials is July 31st, 2017.
• Authors will be informed about the selection of films for the festival screenings until September 25th, 2017.